Mission Ideas: Discussion & Feedback

juseless

I have multiple Mission Ideas that need feedback and fleshing out and I would like to present them to the community to judge if those missions could be attempted and enjoyed. I would be fine if someone else would take on Zeusing these missions as I lack the time to do anything myself right now.

I will put every single mission into a quote, in case you don't want to spoil the experience for yourself.

Idea 1, on my own account it is the worse idea

Inspired by CoD4 Modern Warfare, the players push into a big (maybe middle eastern) city in a standard america saves the day scenario, to capture/kill a dictator. The Infantry is supported by 2x Gunship, preferably Vipers. Transport for the Infantry will only be simple, unarmed HMVVS.
When the Infantry is properly entangled in the town, the birds will be called of and get replaced by Transport Helicopters (2x Chinook & 2x Black Hawk, both armed). As the birds provide no more cover, hostiles start to encircle the Infantry in the town, although not necessarily attacking them.
When the birds are changed, the Infantry will be informed that there is a nuke in the town and the Infantry has to evacuate with the help of the birds, loaded with the respawned players, intended as reinforcement to help secure LZs. An unknown timer should be given, as soon as the countdown runs out the nuke goes off. If 3 out of 4 birds made it out of the blast radius, the mission is a success, if only half of the birds get out it is a failure.

The birds should have enough space to transport the players, considering
1x Chinook = 16 Passengers, 2 Gunners, 1 Co-Pilot = 19*2 = 38
1x Black Hawk = 14 Passengers, 2 Gunners, 1 Co-Pilot = 17*2 = 34
which would end up at a total of 72 seats.

Following questions now:

• Can a mission like this be attempted or are there no available cities suitable for the idea?
  • Could it be fun?
  • Are my calculations concerning seats correct?
  • Is one respawn enough?
  • Is the premise too ridicoulus?

Idea 2, a TvT that might be unbalanced

We are again in the Middle East, this time with a US Unit tasked to clear a small/medium Village of 5 Mines/Explosive Charges set by the local Anti-US Militias. The US Forces are supported by 1x Bradley (BUSK I or III). The goals are quite simple: the US wins by either disabling all 5 Mines/Charges, killing all Insurgents or getting the Insurgents to retreat/surrender. The Insurgents win by killing the US Forces or getting them to retreat/surrender.
The setup should be 3 Squads of 8 for each side, the 3rd US rifleman becoming a carrier for the Defusal Kit, while the Insurgents get 1x MAT with 2-4 Rockets per Squad. The US does not need any AT capabilities as the Insurgents have no armor nor armed Vehicles at their disposal. Every side has a Platoon element which is 3 men strong, for the US it would be the Platoon Leader, ROT and a medic, the Insurgents get Platoon Leader, Medic and a Rifleman (could be the controller of the Mines/Charges).
The US Infantry gets, again, unarmed HMVVS and the Insurgents an assortement of fitting, unarmed Vehicles.
The Insurgents of course get time, aproximatly 5-15 minutes to set up once both teams finished their planning, having time to hide and receive some makeshift fortifications and barricades supplied by the Zeus.
No respawns.

The questions are:

• Can a mission like this be attempted?
  • Does it have to be set-up as a scripted mission?
  • Could it be fun?
  • Which numbers need tweaking?

Mission 1: 

Zargabad sounds like it would fit. Rest seems doable.

Mission 2:

I have never seen defusal kits work in action. The player always dies by getting to close and blowing up. The only way I have seen work is a controlled explosion via demo-block. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Shoxe said:

Mission 1: 

Zargabad sounds like it would fit. Rest seems doable.

Mission 2:

I have never seen defusal kits work in action. The player always dies by getting to close and blowing up. The only way I have seen work is a controlled explosion via demo-block. 

First off: thanks for replying.

Mission 1:
Thats nice, I will then scout the map and find out how to use the nukes.

Mission 2:
Do you have any idea what could replace the charges then? I think it would suffice if it could be carried away via Ace Interaction and maybe brought back to the US start point.

2 hours ago, juseless said:

Mission 2:
Do you have any idea what could replace the charges then? I think it would suffice if it could be carried away via Ace Interaction and maybe brought back to the US start point.

I don't know yet but i would be glad to test it out some afternoon.

3 hours ago, juseless said:

First off: thanks for replying.

Mission 1:
Thats nice, I will then scout the map and find out how to use the nukes.

Mission 2:

An EOD drone could be used for mine disposal.

2 hours ago, colt92 said:

An EOD drone could be used for mine disposal.

As far as I know, the drone would be a prime target for any terrorist and can be taken out quite easily by any terrorist.
Or maybe the Drone Op is so skilled that he can drop the little triggers on the flyby.

4 hours ago, Shoxe said:

I don't know yet but i would be glad to test it out some afternoon.

Maybe it would work fine if it were AT mines instead of AP. Or possibly demoblocks or satchel charges mixed in.

Chuck Yeager

EOD drones only work as civilian iirc.

I haven't ran into any issues using ACE mine detectors to defuse mines, we used to do that a lot when IDAP was just released

9 hours ago, Chuck Yeager said:

EOD drones only work as civilian iirc.

I haven't ran into any issues using ACE mine detectors to defuse mines, we used to do that a lot when IDAP was just released

That is one of the details I would have missed, thank you for bringing it up.

As I noted before, I think using AT mines should accomplish first: be a threat to the bradley and second: be defusable without fearing to get blown up

Another idea I had, give the terrorists explosive charges, which can be placed where they want them. Even close to an AT mine to lure the US defusers into a trap.

10 hours ago, Shoxe said:

Yeah tested even tested the defusal kit and it works fine but you just have to be careful not to get too close.

The large IEDs used to have an incorrectly calibrated pressure plate size. There were some specific angles you could come from, but generally you'd trigger them before you got in range to defuse.

But that has been fixed. Months ago.

About the general idea, there is a reason EOD teams occasionally use .50 cal rifles. Civilians can be evacuated, mud huts can be rebuilt, most IEDs are remote controlled anyway.

1 hour ago, Blutze said:

The large IEDs used to have an incorrectly calibrated pressure plate size. There were some specific angles you could come from, but generally you'd trigger them before you got in range to defuse.

But that has been fixed. Months ago.

About the general idea, there is a reason EOD teams occasionally use .50 cal rifles. Civilians can be evacuated, mud huts can be rebuilt, most IEDs are remote controlled anyway.

I don't want to use IEDs just to avoid such problems, thats why I want AT mines.

Also there should be a challenge for the US side, not just waltz in, shoot five times and win, they should have to make the area secure, the Insurgents should be able to disrupt the process with small forces.

23 hours ago, juseless said:

I don't want to use IEDs just to avoid such problems, thats why I want AT mines.

Also there should be a challenge for the US side, not just waltz in, shoot five times and win, they should have to make the area secure, the Insurgents should be able to disrupt the process with small forces.

I think it would work best with 2 squads per objective. Alternatively there would be a central FUP with squads being sent out to deal with IEDs and mines at different towns as reports roll in.

14 minutes ago, Shoxe said:

I think it would work best with 2 squads per objective. Alternatively there would be a central FUP with squads being sent out to deal with IEDs and mines at different towns as reports roll in.

Well, it is TvT, so that might not work out.

3 minutes ago, juseless said:

Well, it is TvT, so that might not work out.

Alternatively you could make the insurgents put a minimum timer on for example an assembly charge at a school or such which would force the us into action and the insurgents defending it for the timers duration.

3 hours ago, Shoxe said:

Alternatively you could make the insurgents put a minimum timer on for example an assembly charge at a school or such which would force the us into action and the insurgents defending it for the timers duration.

That could be a whole different mission, but I like the way it sounds.

I really hate schools.