Need help building a mission. dets inside

SMPureParadise

SMPureParadise

Basic Mission idea is as follows

Simultaneous Amphib and Airborne invasion of a hostile Island/Coast line. just need some help finding a map and how I should delegate assets, also a zeus willing to take this mission on would be sweet.  

I am modeling this mission after Operation Overlord, the Invasion of Normandy by Allied Forces in WW2 but of course with modern equipment and smaller scale. My idea is to have the paratroop units (2 squad max) jump in well before the sea invasion and secure a variety of objectives that will make the Amphibious easier or harder depending on success. then soon after (maybe 20 to 30 minutes at most) the invasion will launch, maybe starting with a medium shelling of the landing zone. The final objective of the Invasion will be the securing of a large town and if things go decently well both the Airborne and Amphib force should be able to attack the town at the same time from different directions. 

Any feedback? 

If you guys could help me find a map and take an image of the map that would help in drawing up a plan. 

Also I may put a strawpoll up to name the mission. 

Hm. It's a nice idea, I would make it so that the drop is at night and the mission time is increased so the landing happens around dawn. That's purely aesthetics really but I think it would be neat.

As for maps, you can make this work on a whole host of them, just be aware wherever you decide on, the C130 (or Helos, depending how you want to do it) have to take off from somewhere and have a safe flight corridor to the DZ.

^tanoa has the advantage of already having ww2 bunkers in place :P

On a more serious note, I think it's a better idea to fortify parts of altis or malden; the villages may better fit the aesthetic, and have an extensive road network for paratroopers to block QRFs on. 

Another trick you can try is to make sure that you go all out with map markers; make it's look like platoons actions are part of the a humongous effort, which will also prevent them from diverting to other beaches where you neglected to place defenses (because that is where the other friendly divisions are supposedly going) 

8 hours ago, Timberhawk said:

On a more serious note, I think it's a better idea to fortify parts of altis or malden; the villages may better fit the aesthetic, and have an extensive road network for paratroopers to block QRFs on. 

Another trick you can try is to make sure that you go all out with map markers; make it's look like platoons actions are part of the a humongous effort, which will also prevent them from diverting to other beaches where you neglected to place defenses (because that is where the other friendly divisions are supposedly going) 

Adding adjacent AI / AI battles or adjacent artillery fire to add additional excitement/confusion could help.  Just don't overdo it and crash the server.  

Also, for timing, having the paratroopers drop from a pole when launching the ships for timing might be an option.  Some slight testing would be needed, but that would be able to put the paratroopers on an actual time crunch.  This would likely require strong platoon and paratrooper squad leadership *cough* tags enforced *cough*.  If pulled off successfully, the dead time for the main amphibious assault could be minimized.  

Below is a rough layout of the concept on southern Malden.

59f5166bb53e0_JPEGmal.thumb.jpg.ec7e9906005e71a2cf6cd27c87d8c27b.jpg

The idea behind the boat-riders "First Line" to assault, then having a "Boat 2" objective would be to have something else for the boat riders to do and give a means to match the pace with the Para.  Additionally, if the amphibious assault is taking longer, an additional round of reinforcements can be inbound for the paratroopers to intercept. 

I believe minimizing "omg why can't the other group get their shit together, we've been waiting forever" is a key component to this mission (or any mission that splits the groups).  

I don't particularly like the paratroopers doubling back, but I didn't really see a better option to maintain the correct sight-lines.  There's probably a much better location, but this spot was able to draw me in when I circled the island.  

@Ventthough drop-poles are efficient, they're not particularly fun when doing paratrooper missions (in my opinion it's the complete chaos and breakdown of comms that make para missions interesting.