Sights guide & comparison (now v2)

ThePointForward

ThePointForward

Sights guide and comparison

After a few missions where we were playing as OPFOR I found out I have no idea what scope I should pick for my AK and using railed version with ACOG looked weird. So that's when I decided that some kind of a comparison would be useful and then why not share it.

The comparison table itself can be found here (Google Drive spreadsheet).

Some notes:

• I have split the sights by mod and in case of RHS: AFRF I have also split scopes for rails and for non-railed weapons.
  • NVG used for testing: TRYK Goggles.
  • I have created following categories of sights for needs of this guide:
    • Collimators - do not have magnification.
    • Optics - sights with magnification that do not have an option of ironsights, added collimator or at least over the top view.
    • Mixed - sights with magnification that do have an option of ironsights, added collimator or at least over the top view.
    • Thermals - self explanatory.
  • Color codes:
    • Green: Means either "DOES HAVE" or "ALLOWED FOR EVERYBODY". Special restrictions of course apply, this follows standard rules. For example for Magnification it means that any rifleman is allowed these.
    • Yellow: Means "TO BE AWARE" or in case of magnification "NEED TO BE DESIGNATED MARKSMAN". For example over the top view instead of ironsights or collimator is marked this way because it's much less comfortable to use.
    • Red: Means "DOES NOT HAVE" or "YOU CANNOT HAVE THAT WITHOUT SPECIAL PERMISSION". For magnification this means above 16x where only Prophet Sniper can take these under normal conditions.
  • I have generally grouped sights which were only aesthetically different - for example Kahlia scopes were grouped together ignoring color with the only exception being "Old" variant, which is missing the ironsights on top of the scope.
  • Distance for screenshots is 50 meters.
  • I've measured the magnification values by comparing screenshots in Photoshop (overlays, transparency and transformation to get pretty accurate values). As I've found out the "1x" magnification is when you're zoomed in with standard Mk.1 Eyeball.
  • For 3CB scopes I use ACE compatibility mod (clientside, see https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1135537142)

Currently available:

• Sights from mods:
    • Vanilla Arma 3 + DLCs
    • 3CB BAF
    • RHS: AFRF
    • RHS: USAF
    • NiA (including G36, M14, FAL, AK)
    • ACE3
  • Information about each sight:
    • Name (for full-text search)
    • Whether or not sight contains a collimator or ironsights option
    • Whether or not sights contains optics (with magnification)
    • Magnification of said optics
    • NVG compatibility
    • NVG built-in
    • Thermals built-in
    • Zeroing method
    • Bullet drop compensation
    • Quick ranging markings
    • Screenshots
  • Color codes (see above) for quick orientation.

To be done:

• Upload screenshots of the scopes and their reticles. I already have most, just gotta upload them and put links on each line.
  • Double check magnifications - some were taken from descriptions, some had to be guessed because Arma computes it based on default FOV or something.
  • Add NIA scopes.
  • Possible refinements, maybe looking at some built-in scopes (low priority on them).

If you see any mistakes please let me know.

Edited by ThePointForward
  • Upvote 8

• 2 weeks later...

Might wanna add ACE compatibility (and mention that the 3cb stuff has a clientside mod for that), and maybe if it has changable zero and/or BDC markings. Also, I think some of the larger RHS scopes are <16x maximum magnification - even though they don't have CQB options and are therefore not recommended.

• Thanks 1

ThePointForward
4 hours ago, Blutze said:

Might wanna add ACE compatibility (and mention that the 3cb stuff has a clientside mod for that), and maybe if it has changable zero and/or BDC markings. Also, I think some of the larger RHS scopes are <16x maximum magnification - even though they don't have CQB options and are therefore not recommended.

Thanks for feedback.

I checked the RHS scopes and the lack of large scopes is because they cannot be fitted onto M4, but appear for DMRs and bolt actions. I'll definitely add them later.
As far as BDC markings (and those marking that allow for quick distance estimate) I might add them there. They'll also be in the screenshots once they're up.

As far as ACE zeroing goes I'm not 100% sure it's needed for riflemen. Gotta think that one through, so if I add it I won't half-ass it.

Someone once mentioned that the russian PSO-1M2 doesn't feel like 4x, and compared to the british LDS I did notice a small difference. Although this needs a bit more testing.

(Both says it's 4x)

Whatever unit is used, the Mk 1 Eyeball in ArmA has a value of 0.93 of it instead of the expected 1.0 (and the biological zoom thingy is 1.5). Maybe the RHS team went through and found the number they had to set that property to so their ACOGs display stuff four times as big as with the naked eye, while the 3cb team simply entered a 4.

3 hours ago, ThePointForward said:

As far as ACE zeroing goes I'm not 100% sure it's needed for riflemen.

Well it is at least interesting for designated marksmen. And the opposite, where you just page up and down for 100 m adjustments, is the only thing that makes the SUIT and SUSAT not be a total disaster (they are still a massive disaster).

• 5 weeks later...
ThePointForward

UPDATE

Well, I have finally got around to make proper measurements and expand the comparison. Link stays the same.

Changelog v2:

• Added high powered scopes for RHS
  • Added NiA scopes
  • Added ACE3 scopes
  • Magnification values are now real magnification values.
  • Added zeroing type
  • Added bullet drop compensation
  • Added quick ranging markings
  • Added screenshots
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, ThePointForward said:

Magnification values are now real magnification values.

Uuuuuuuuh, shiny.

You have some 14x and 15x scopes red now... are you still going off the RHS tooltips here, or did you just not update the colors? Oh, and I don't see why you have mildot scopes scattered across all categories for having a BDC.

ThePointForward
17 minutes ago, Blutze said:

Uuuuuuuuh, shiny.

You have some 14x and 15x scopes red now... are you still going off the RHS tooltips here, or did you just not update the colors? Oh, and I don't see why you have mildot scopes scattered across all categories for having a BDC.

I got info that DMR is gonna be limited to 12x scopes with the new rules update. So to get people used to it I already marked them as restricted to prophet.

EDIT: Also I just realized that's how Mildot is called. Anyway, I'll fix that, but the categories should be good?

Oh, that makes sense. Carry on.

AMS, MOS and Kahlia should be listed as mildot. Might look a bit different, AMS might have a few more numbers, MOS can be argued to be both-ish. That russian 20x thingy should be nothing, it doesn't zoom properly just like the 2d/PiP LRPSs and MOSs.

ThePointForward
2 hours ago, Blutze said:

Oh, that makes sense. Carry on.

AMS, MOS and Kahlia should be listed as mildot. Might look a bit different, AMS might have a few more numbers, MOS can be argued to be both-ish. That russian 20x thingy should be nothing, it doesn't zoom properly just like the 2d/PiP LRPSs and MOSs.

I did change the "unmarked dots" to mildot (my brain freeze). Left them yellow as it still requires user to know how to use them.

Will chew on those three vanilla scopes (am tired anyway, man gotta sleep).

And by not zooming properly you mean those aren't aligned well when zoomed in?

Size of the reticule on your screen does not change when zooming for any of those, yes. Actually hold on, I might have RHS set to 2d, maybe there is a 3d reticule for the DH... Nope. Switching definitely changed the SU-230, but the DH still had that issue on all three settings.

ThePointForward

Damn, I had high hopes for the scope, because it's only (high-powered) scope for non-railed SVD. :|

EDIT: Also should mention magnification measuring method and distance for screens (which is 50 m).

• 3 weeks later...
ThePointForward
8 hours ago, SABER said:

Several if not all of the RHS Acog(and it's other designations) are only 2.86x. Along with a number of the russian types and some of the larger NATO sniper sights.

It's as of yet unfixed by RHS, see here ---> http://feedback.rhsmods.org/view.php?id=2820

Ok, so it's 2.86x... basically anything with "2.9x" is 2.86x then. Looked close enough during comparing with Photoshop.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy